Walsall advertiser dating
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. By 1612 a wake was held at Walsall late in September. 1) It may thus have originated in festivities at the St. In that year, however, Patrick Collins, the amusement caterer, bought land behind his home, Lime Tree House in High Street, for use as a fair ground. 7) The wake was held there until the land was sold in 1970. 8) Since then it has taken place on temporary sites. 9) A traditional custom at Walsall was the throwing of apples, nuts, and hot copper coins from the guildhall windows to the assembled populace on St. In 1804 it was claimed that there had been no bullbaiting for more than 20 years. It was apparently never printed in Walsall, and in its later issues contained little or no Walsall news. 72) Another weekly, the Liberal was established in 1857 by J. In 1892 it was enlarged, began to provide normal news coverage, and became a penny newspaper. It returned temporarily to Maw Green in 1900 but since 1903 has played on the Hillary Street ground, known since at least 1931 as Fellows Park after H. About 1901, however, it moved to a field behind the Red Lion, Leamore, the club's headquarters from at least 1910. 89) The first known friendly societies in Walsall were formed in the 1760s, and the first known societies in Bloxwich in the 1770s. 90) By 1803 there were 10 societies in the borough and 13 in the foreign, with a total membership of 1,864. 91) In 1813 there were some 30 or 40 societies in borough and foreign, with a total membership of 1,786. In 1876 there were 36 registered societies in Walsall (fn. Among the Walsall societies in 1876 were 12 lodges and one juvenile branch of Odd Fellows, 8 courts and one juvenile society of the Ancient Order of Foresters, a division of the Sons of Temperance, and a sanctuary of the Ancient Order of Shepherds.
The bad news for Bloxwich residents, shoppers, the travelling public and bus drivers who depend on the present toilets is that proposals outlined in the consultation this week include the replacement of the present 'Bloxwich Bogs' with a much smaller facility, offering at best only one WC each for disabled, ladies and gentlemen, and no urinal at all.
85) Walsall Cricket Club existed by 1833; at first it used a ground at the Chuckery, but it moved to one at Windmill in 1847 and remained there until . During those years the Chuckery ground was occupied by another club, the Tradesmen's. 87) Walsall's first football club was established in 1873 in connexion with Walsall Cricket Club. The most important were Walsall Swifts, founded in 1877, and Walsall Town, founded in 1879.